MORE REASONS TO WALK
Yes, tons of studies have shown that walking comes with a wealth of benefits…here are the latest things everyone should know about the wide-ranging benefits of this simple form of exercise…
– It improves your health: A walking regimen can help you lose weight; lower your blood pressure and cholesterol; and reduce your risk for heart disease, diabetes and cancer, among other benefits.
– It is good for your brain: Walking has been shown to improve memory and cognitive capability. It also lessens the risk for dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
– It boosts mood and lowers stress: Walking just a few minutes a day calms anxiety and enhances your mood. Especially if you’re walking outside in nature.
– It is energizing – but also helps you sleep: Yes, walking boosts your energy levels, but those who walk every morning are less likely to suffer from insomnia. (Or hit 2 birds with one stone…try sleepwalking!)
– It’s free, can be done anywhere, and it doesn’t take much: Just put on your shoes and head out the door. While many groups suggest you aim for 10,000 steps per day, a study showed that health benefits begin at just 4,400 steps.
(Not only that, but walking also keeps the dog from peeing on the carpet!)