Canadian Environment Week
Established in 1971, Canadian Environment Week (PDF) celebrates Canada’s environmental accomplishments and encourages Canadians to contribute to preserving and protecting their environment.
Canadian Environment Week includes:
In 2019, we are encouraging Canadians to Encounter, Protect and Celebrate #OurNature! One way to do that is to continue our efforts to #BeatPlasticPollution! Join the conversation on social media and spread the word to help keep our nature clean and pollution free.
Do something every day, something big or something small, to protect our planet by consulting these EnviroTips. Discover how you can help protect our natural environment and find nature events near you.
Encounter our nature
Ways for you to spend some time with family and friends enjoying and connecting with nature.
- Explore Canada in a fun way! Use our biokit to record what you find in the natural spaces around you
- Connect with nature by visiting one of our beautiful National Wildlife Areas (NWAs)
- Watch sea birds dive and soar over traditional nesting sites at one of our National Marine Conservation areas
- Help track the health of bird populations with Bird Studies Canada
- Visit one of our National Parks
Protect our nature
The beauty and variety of Canadian nature is one of our country’s greatest riches. Here are some ways you can help protect our mountains, lakes and rivers, as well as our coasts, forests, and wildlife.
- Join or lead a shoreline cleanup in your community, anywhere across the country, by taking part in the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup
- Take care of Canada’s Bird and Biodiversity Areas
- Volunteer with the Nature Conservancy of Canada
- Protect habitats with the Habitat Stewardship Program for species at risk and the Aboriginal Fund for species at risk
- Leave your car at home and participate in the national commuter challenge
- Learn more practical tips and tools with the Pollution prevention resource finder
Celebrate our nature
Our connection with nature makes us special as Canadians. Here are some great opportunities and ideas to help you celebrate Canada’s unparalleled natural beauty!
- Share your nature pics with us and enter the #OurNature Photo contest! You could win a Parks Canada Discovery Pass and bragging rights!
- Get behind the scenes and volunteer with Parks Canada
- Create a wildlife habitat in your backyard!
- Try some atch birdwatching with the eBird Canada mobile application and contribute to a global birding database
- Inspire young Canadians by sharing The Nature Playbook with them
- Embrace the wisdom of Indigenous ecological knowledge that has been handed down over thousands of years
- Ask your local newspaper to publish an environmental story during Canadian Environment Week. What nature topics would you most like to see covered?
Source: Government of Canada