20 Facts About the World That Will Surprise You!
1. A strawberry is not a berry, but a banana is a berry
2. The average chocolate bar contains eight insect pieces
3. There are more stars in the sky than grains of sand in the world
4. Humans completely replace their outer skin every month
5. You can use your hand for a quick measurement of angles. Spread out your fingers as far as they can. Your little finger represents 0°. The angle between the thumb and the little finger will be 90°, the angles between the little finger and the other fingers are 30°, 45°, and 60°, respectively.
6. You can also use your hand to remember which months have 31 days. Make a fist and start counting your knuckles and spaces between your knuckles. The knuckle of your index finger is January (knuckle means 31 days), then the space between your index and middle fingers is February (space means less than 31 days)and so on. Once you reach your little finger knuckle (July) count it again (August) and move in the opposite direction.
7. Mosquitoes have killed more humans than all wars in history
8. You’re twice as likely to get killed by a vending machine than a shark
9. For every human on earth, there are 1.6 million ants
10. France was still executing people by guillotine up until 1977
11. The word ‘set’ has the most number of definitions (464) in the English language
12. In an average lifetime, a person will walk the equivalent of 5 times around the equator
13. The jaw is the most commonly used joint in the human body
14. Starfish are not fish (they’re sea urchins) and killer whales are not whales (they’re dolphins)
15. Speaking of dolphins, they can actually call each other by name
16. One piece of space junk returns to earth every day
17. The naked mole rat is immune to cancer and can live with almost no oxygen
18. Due to gravity, the theoretical maximum height of a tree is 130 meters
19. The mouth of a blue whale can hold its own bodyweight in water
20. An average adult contains 7 quintillion joules of potential energy (or, 30 hydrogen bombs)